Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tender Mercies and Small Miracles


GUEST BLOGGER: RYAN AWERKAMP


Ryan with the Lunds
at Singing for the Angels
Early one Monday morning, I was studying for a written exam that was just a few hours away. The test could be on any one of four possible essay questions. I was quickly running out of time and had studied only the first question. Hurrying on to the second question, I had a thought that I should skip to the fourth question instead. My inclination was to continue studying the questions in the order given on the study guide, but again I had the thought, “You’ll be better off skipping to the last question.” I used my remaining study time to prepare for the last question, and when I got to class, sure enough the last question was pulled out of the hat. After the test, I reflected on the experience and had the distinct impression that I had received that tender mercy as a result of the decision I had made to not study on Sundays.

This experience happened soon after coming home from my mission. It was among the first of many small miracles that have continued to happen since then. Often times the miracle comes after I have done all that I know how to do, and have no other option but to pray and trust. I have marveled at the surprising ways I have seen this scripture fulfilled: “let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed” (D&C 123:17).

Ryan and Jeni
I have been grateful for the many opportunities the Lord has given me to exercise faith in his promises. He has proven to me many times that he will bless us when we keep his commandments. “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say” (D&C 82:10). I am convinced that when we put the Lord and his commandments first, we not only receive great blessings, but we also accomplish far more than we ever could on our own.

Ryan served in Gandia, Zaragoza 1 and 2, Hospitalet 2, and Bilbao. He returned home in April 2011. He married Jeni Gubler on July 29, 2011, in the St. George Temple. They are the proud parents of Olivia. The Awerkamps currently live in Provo where Ryan is a student at BYU. Jeni maintains the family blog at http://jengub.blogspot.com/.

Have a story or miracle to share? Send your post (in English or Spanish) to clark.hinckley@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment